40V 20-Inch Brushless Lithium-Ion Cordless 5.0Ah Battery Electric Mower
8 reasons to buy
- Various users were pleased with the Ryobi RY40180 fast and easy assembly. Just unfold the handles and insert the batteries and you’re all set.
- Most purchasers liked that the mower can be folded up and stand on end for easy and convenient storage.
- A lot of testers welcomed how quietly the RY40180 runs.
- Several users enjoyed the mower’s cutting power. It had no problem cutting tall and thick grass.
- Being a battery-operated mower, owners liked that the mower required very little maintenance.
- The mower is lightweight, maneuverable and easy to clean.
- One buyer welcomed the inclusions of headlights for easy mowing during foggy mornings.
- A couple of users liked the easy height adjustment.
3 reasons not to buy
- A handful reported that the mulching plug is difficult to insert and can easily get in the way of the blades if inserted incorrectly.
- The battery which had a life expectancy of three years is expensive as a few reviewers noted.
- At least one purchaser mentioned that the blades chipped after using the mower 3 to 4 times.
A vast majority of reviewers found the Ryobi RY40180 a good choice for a battery-powered mower. It gains a lot of praise for being very easy to use and maintain. No more changing oil filters, spark plugs and storing gas. Aside from being environmentally friendly, a lot of users loved that they could mow early in the morning without bothering neighbors and the mower cut very well too. On the downside, there were some users that had difficulty installing the mulching plug and found batteries were expensive to replace. Overall though, owners with lawns of up to half an acre found that the Ryobi RY40180 lives up to expectations and gets the job done.
Tips for Ryobi RY40180
- Exercise caution when inserting the mulching plug. The mower’s plastic housing was noted to have sharp edges and may cause small cuts.
- Check the mower’s blades regularly. You can purchase compatible Ryobi blades here.
- It is recommended to clean the mower after each use.
Q: Is the Ryobi RY40180 self-propelled?
A: No, this model does not have the self-propelled feature but is still lightweight and easy to use.
Q: Can you use the mower without the bag?
A: Yes, the mower includes a mulching plug to set the mower to mulching mode.
Q: Are the battery and charger included?
A: Yes. The mower comes with both battery and charger.
Q: Can the mower be transported easily?
A: Yes. The handles push down towards the base. The mower can fit in a regular size car truck for transport.
Q: How long does the battery last during mowing?
A: The Battery life will depend on the cutting conditions. For tall and wet grass, the battery can last up to 30 minutes. For dry grass and cutting an inch off, the battery can last up to 90 minutes.